You know many pet owners once they've adopted a pet from your rescue, will not keep a collar, license or visible identification on their new pet. Some of these pets may get lost and never return home. Implementing a microchip and scanning program at your rescue can help you to focus on animals who have been abused or abandoned by reducing unclaimed pets in your community.
Protect Your Adopted Pets
Most pet owners believe that losing their pet just won't happen to them. But, mishaps do occur, the gate is left unlatched, or a hurricane, tornado, or fire ravages their community. Thousands of pets were displaced as a result of Hurricane Katrina, and that's just one natural disaster. Each year an estimated 6 to 8 million pets are lost or displaced from their owners and although visual identification such as a collar or custom tag are the easiest solutions to establish identification most pets have no form of identification. Did you know that a family pet, maybe one of your adopted pets, is lost every few seconds? That's millions of lost pets every year!
Don't wait until one of your adopted pets ends up at your local shelter. Shelters are already overcrowded so lost or displaced pets can only be housed a short period of time. How many times have you seen a dog or cat in your local shelter that is obviously well cared for but not identified? It's on its last holding day, it's six years old, beautiful personality and yet you know its chances of adoption are not very good. Shelters do their very best to locate owners, but if a pet has no form of identification, there's not much they can do. Implementing a microchip program at your rescue can help protect your adopted pets as well as reduce lost pets in your community.
AVID Pet Recovery Solutions for Rescues
AVID offers a range of products and services for implementing a microchipping program at your rescue. AVID is the only company in the world that develops, manufactures, and distributes its own patented microchips and scanners and does the work necessary to return lost pets by operating a 24/7 pet recovery service. When you choose AVID you get a company that has been reuniting lost pets with their families since 1987. AVID's products are used by veterinarians, shelters, and rescue groups and have helped save millions of lost Pets. When you purchase from AVID you get products and services that benefit pets, pet owners and your community.
- AVID FriendChip - Microchipping the pets in your care is the safest way to permanently identify them. Developed by a veterinarian, the AVID FriendChip is designed as an injected medical device to be safe and permanent, and to be offered by veterinarians, shelters and rescues to benefit pets and their owners. The implant procedure can be performed during admission, vaccinations, and before adoption. Once implanted, the AVID FriendChip provides positive identification and proof of ownership that is virtually impossible to remove or alter.
- AVID Scanners - AVID offers a wide selection of portable scanners that combine portability, versatility and optimum performance in a rugged, lightweight functional design. AVID scanners are the ideal solution when portability and cost are important.
- The AVID Pet Recovery System - The AVID Pet Recovery System makes it easy and economical for your rescue to implement a microchipping program at your facility. The AVID Pet Recovery System includes everything your rescue needs to start implementing an effective microchipping and scanning program.
- Prepaid PETtrac Registrations - Prepaid PETtrac Registrations provide comprehensive protection for the pets in your care by bundling the microchip implantation and registration together. Providing this service to adoptable pets can help increase return-to-owner and microchip registration rates in your community. If your rescue implants another brand of microchip you can still register your patients with PETtrac, the worlds largest and longest operating microchip based pet recovery system.
- Rescue Starter Package - a starter package for rescues who want to begin offering microchipping and recovery services as a public service to their community. The package includes everything your facility need to begin microchipping and scanning pets in your care.