- Pet Owners
Every few seconds, a family pet gets lost. In fact, 1 in 3 pets will go missing sometime in their lives. Most of these pets end up in municipal shelters, animal control facilities and humane societies across the United States. Tragically, most of these pets never make it back home because their owners didn't microchip them.
Developed by a veterinarian, the Avid® FriendChip™ is an effective and safe way to identify your pet. The FriendChip is a tiny microchip that fits through a hypodermic needle and is injected under the skin of your pet where it remains safely for life. This inexpensive procedure can be done anytime and, best of all, protects virtually any pet you love: dogs, cats, horses, birds, reptiles, exotics, even fish!
Microchipping your pet is the most safe and effective solution to permanently identify your pet. Once the procedure is complete and you enroll your pet in the PETtrac Recovery Service, your pet will have a permanent link back to you, the owner, via the PETtrac Recovery Network. This technology greatly improves your pet's chances of being reunited with you, its owner.
Why FriendChip Your Pet?
- The Avid FriendChip provides safe, lifetime identification for companion animals.
- The Avid FriendChip has a 9 digit number that clearly tells the finder it's an 'Avid' microchip.
- The Avid FriendChip provides unique identification that cannot be duplicated or altered.
What is the Avid FriendChip?
- The Avid FriendChip is part of the Avid Pet Recovery System; it provides permanent identification for pets who become lost or displaced.
- The Avid FriendChip is a tiny, implantable microchip that is injected under your pet's skin.
- The microchip is encapsulated within a glass capsule coated with Parylene C, a biocompatible material used for devices permanently implanted into the body.
- The Avid FriendChip has no batteries and transmits a unique identification number when energized by a scanner's electromagnetic field.
How the FriendChip Works
- A local animal care professional implants the Avid FriendChip under your pets skin.
- Each Avid FriendChip has a unique identification number that is encoded and locked into its integrated circuit.
- Because of encryption technology, this identification number cannot be altered or duplicated.
- The Avid FriendChip is biocompatible and does not have a battery. It is energized by a scanner whenever the microchip needs to be read.
- The scanner energizes the FriendChip with a harmless radio wave and reads the unique identification number.